As dogs get older, they go through the pains of ageing. Arthritis and joint issues are the main culprits for their growing discomfort.
Unfortunately, senior pups aren’t the only canines to fall victim to sore joints. Depending on breed and size, any dog over a year can suffer from these problems.
Fortunately, there are ways to manage ailments like these or prevent them from getting worse with joint supplements.
In this article, we review the best dog joint supplements in the UK to help keep your dog happy and mobile.
We'll also provide you with tips for choosing the best one.
In a hurry? Here are the top 3 dog joint supplements:
Our top picks
Get Any Audiobook For FREE
Download one audiobook of your choice for free with a 30-day Audible trial. Lots of great titles available.
Plus, keep your free book even if you cancel your subscription!
Best Dog Joint Supplements
Before we get into the details of how to choose a joint supplement for the old girl, we present you the cream of the best individually reviewed:
Your arthritic dog can still lead an active life with the help of YuMove all-natural joint supplements.
Considered the best dog joint supplement in the UK, YuMove has been clinically proven to provide relief for pooches in pain and discomfort.
If your pooch yelps when he gets up in the morning, he may benefit from these chewables.
In approximately 6 weeks, you may witness a transformation in your dog’s demeanour.
These tablets aren’t harsh drugs that cause adverse side-effects. All the main ingredients are either organically harvested or synthesized by the body. Green-lipped mussels are shellfish, while glucosamine and hyaluronic acid are naturally produced.
These components combined aid stiff joints, promote joint health, and improve the mobility of your dog over time.
Furthermore, the amount of Omega-3 contained within green-lipped mussels is triple that of many other similar products. This is a good source of fat that has multiple benefits for the body and brain.
If your dog refuses to take medicine without a fight, you’ll be pleased to hear that these are tasty and have a palatable texture.
Your canine might mistake the product for a treat! Otherwise, you can mix the supplement with his food. As the pill is small and can be crushed into powder, he’ll be none-the-wiser.
Always make sure that your vet agrees that your animal requires or could gain from using joint supplements.
Dogs with extra sensitive stomachs or with intolerances toward glucosamine or shellfish might react badly.
Two niggles about the product are the cost and the fact that one bottle isn’t long-lasting. The larger your dog, the more pills they’ll have to take daily. Get more bang for your buck by purchasing 300 capsules at once.
- Hip and joint supplement for dogs
- Quantity: 60, 120, or 300 tablets
- Contains glucosamine, green-lipped mussels, and hyaluronic acid and more
- Manganese supports collagen formation in cartilage, tendons and ligaments
What we liked
- Results are clinically proven to work within 6 weeks
- Contains concentrated Omega-3
- Hyaluronic acid supports lubrication and shock absorption in joints
- Won’t last long with large dogs
Supplements can play multiple roles in your pet’s life.
It can be a preventative for your senior pup if he’s experiencing discomfort caused by of arthritis. Otherwise, use it to reduce the worst of your poor canine’s suffering.
Unlike other products that promote joint care in dogs, Vetzyme is a cheaper alternative that shows equally promising results.
The supplement’s formula comprises an extremely effective combination known to rebuild, repair and promote joint health.
Constituents such as Methyl Sulphonyl Methane (MSM) plays pivotal roles in keeping your dog mobile with supple joints.
By introducing these tablets into your pet’s life, you might find that you spend less time at the vet. This translates to fewer expenses and a less terrified puppy who hates medical check-ups.
How long until you see results?
It depends on your pet and the severity of his condition. Some pet guardians see visible change initially while extensive improvements occur in the weeks that follow.
You must remember that arthritis can’t be cured but managed. These supplements can improve the quality of your pet’s life but can’t eradicate the pain for good.
The chewables taste like chicken which may be considered both a pro and a con. Your good boy will take the bite-sized supplement as a delicious treat but may come back wanting another.
If your pet is difficult and refuses the chewable, you can crush it into his food or disguise it in a tasty treat.
- High strength supplements for flexible joints
- Contains MSM (Methyl Sulphonyl Methane) for maintaining healthy connective tissue, elasticity of joints
- Suitable for all dogs and puppies over 12 weeks
- 30 or 90 tables available
What we liked
- Builds, repairs, and promotes joint health
- Contains multiple beneficial ingredients such as Fish Oil and B-Complex Vitamins
- Ingredients help with a healthy, shiny coat, give a guard against nervousness
- Looks and smells like a tasty treat
- Not effective for all dogs
- Loose stool sometimes experienced
Due to everyday wear and tear, your dog might be experiencing aches and strain in his joints. A visit to the vet might show the beginnings of arthritis or age-related conditions.
This diagnosis doesn’t mean your dog will live with crippling pain or become dependent on pain meds for the rest of his days.
Administer JointSure to your pet, and you’ll be surprised by the results. Many pet owners observe obvious changes in their canine's behaviour, from stiff and plodding to running and trotting on walks.
JointSure is a tried and tested product that boasts a successful, triple-action formula.
7 active ingredients are included to enhance joint health, rebuild damaged cartilage in joints, and to boost mobility in older or pain-riddled pooches.
Green-lipped mussels are used often in similar products, considered to be nature’s "wonder product". This product uses precise ratios of the shellfish to ensure optimal results.
The supplement, containing a variety of vitamins and fatty oils, supports overall health. After using for a few weeks, not only will your pet have the confidence to climb the stairs, but he may look like a younger, healthier pup.
JointSure is ideal to use on older, stiffer dogs. However, there isn’t an age limit on this joint care for dogs.
These dog aid supplements are considered safe to use on any pet with joint-related issues, hip or elbow dysplasia or recovering from major surgery.
Administering the joint supplement is easy, especially if your animal eats anything. The faint fishy smell will entice even a fussy pooch.
However, the pill has no protective coating, which makes it easier to break into smaller pieces, but harder to accurately judge the dosage.
While the pill may work wonders, it won’t reduce the tenderness entirely. Even if significantly better, your pet may still walk with a slight limp during colder weather.
- Formulated to soothe stiffness, support and maintain normal joint function
- Formulated with 7 active ingredients
- Contains green lipped mussel which is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids that soothes stiff joints
- Contains hyaluronic acid to help lubricate and cushion the joint
- Contains manganese to assist in collagen formation in the cartilage, tendons and ligaments
- 60, 120 and 300 capsules available
What we liked
- Boasts a triple-action formula
- Supports overall health
- Easy to administer
- No protective coating, pills are too easily crushed
Getting older is part of your dog’s life, which is accompanied by the inevitable slowing down of your pet.
What happened to the energised puppy who drove you up the walls?
The truth of the matter is that with a change in diet and the addition of supplements, your ten-year-old can still play and enjoy life.
Maxxiflex Maxxidog supplements are the ticket to keep your dog moving despite his aching bones, muscles, and joints.
These tablets are suitable for soothing the symptoms of existing conditions, such as advanced osteoarthritis, complications brought on by injuries, or congenital disabilities.
These supplements are also commonly used as a precaution in older dogs or pets predisposed to particular problems regarding mobility.
Protect your fur child from agony by managing the pain in its infancy stages. Otherwise, prevent the onset by strengthening the existing cartilage of every joint with one tablet daily.
Maxxiflex is superior to other leading brands in this department because it includes a variety of active ingredients. These assist with pain, stiffness, and a restricted range of motion.
Glucosamine and chondroitin and other well-known components found in most joint supplements are used.
However, what sets Maxxiflex apart is the inclusion of other carefully selected ingredients known to support and provide comfort to your pet’s creaking joints.
These include Devils Claw and bioactive whey protein but to name a few.
The liver-flavour of these chewables are delectable for most pets. That said, you should take caution if your pet has a sensitive stomach or hasn’t eaten offal before.
Digestive upsets and liquid stool can occur in some canines.
Introduce the supplement gradually and slowly build up the dosage if the product agrees with your pet’s digestive system.
- Dog joint supplement featuring advanced formula
- Made up of 15 high strength active ingredients
- Liver flavoured
- Shellfish free
What we liked
- Soothes discomfort caused by degenerative disease
- Can be used as a preventative
- Contains a wide variety of ingredients
- Not all animals can stomach liver
Undoubtedly, being a dog owner to an old pet with crippling arthritis can be a helpless situation. You’ve probably implemented every trick in the book, from prescribed medicine to alternative treatments.
You may have also tried different joint supplements experiencing varying degrees of success. Seraquin is a must-try because it’s shown signs of improvements for suffering animals.
The nutritional supplement can be fed to dogs and cats. This is no mean feat for a feline owner, knowing how difficult it can be to administer drugs orally to your stubborn fur companion.
Most furry companions don’t mind the taste of the pill, which can also be cut up and given as a treat or crushed and sprinkled over kibble.
The product contains 3 ingredients naturally produced. Curcumin, derived from turmeric, neutralises free radicals in the joints that contribute toward their decline.
These tablets are considered safe to use with pain medication or administered on their own with your vet’s approval.
Results vary between radical improvement, to small but noticeable changes that reveal your dog is more comfortable.
It will take several weeks for the full effects to manifest, but once they do, your pet may appear sprightlier than before, start to sleep less, and show excitement before walks.
You may also notice an upswing in your pet’s general health. His coat may return to full shine, and he might possess more energy.
One slight inconvenience experienced by pets with small animals is the size of the tablets. Even by human standards, they’re sizable.
While chewable, it might be challenging to encourage your pet to ingest this tablet if they’re fussy or possess only a few teeth.
- Veterinary approved joint supplements
- Contain glucosamine, chondroitin and turmeric extracts
- Supports the normal functioning, mobility and structure of joints
What we liked
- Suitable for canines and felines
- Contains turmeric, a potent antioxidant
- Overall health rapidly improves
- Sizeable tablets
Guide To Purchasing Dog Joint Supplements
Your dog can’t communicate when he’s hurting, which makes it your responsibility to watch out for the signs that he’s struggling.
Symptoms About Joint Issues
- Subtle personality changes
- Difficulty getting up
- Refuses to walk
- Limping or stiffness after walks
- Inability to jump up
Subtle personality changes
Your pet might not be himself. He could be sleeping more and appearing under the weather. As an observant pet owner, you’ll quickly notice the difference.
Difficulty getting up
After a nap, your pet may battle to stand up and get moving.
Refuses to walk
Dogs are energetic creatures that need exercise for daily functioning. Something is wrong if your pet doesn’t get excited about walks, or refuses outright.
Limping or stiffness after walks
These could be obvious signs that your pet might have arthritis, dysplasia, or joint-related issues.
Inability to jump up
If your fur companion is hesitant about joining you on the couch or is nervous about climbing the stairs, he could be hurt.
Can Supplements Help?
Many pet guardians are sceptical about the effectiveness of supplements, choosing prescribed medicine over alternatives.
However, some supplements are clinically proven to improve a dog’s mobility and joint health substantially.
Before introducing these products to your pet, check with your local vet to ensure he doesn’t have allergies to glucosamine or green-lipped mussels, the main active ingredients of most supplement formulas.
What Can Supplements Do?
Some pet owners have the wrong idea about supplements. These products aren't miracle drugs that can cure your dog. Instead, they bring comfort to pets in obvious distress.
Your canine might show renewed interest in walks and playtime but may continue to have a noticeable limp, especially if the ailment is advanced.
Supplements aren’t just used to provide support to damaged or weakened joints but can be used to maintain health.
Your healthy golden oldie can start taking these tablets even if she isn’t experiencing discomfort.
When Is The Right Time To Start Supplements?
Senior dogs are more prone to degenerative conditions. Depending on your dog’s breed, this could be from 7 years and onwards.
This is an approximation as larger dogs, and specific breeds are predisposed to arthritis and elbow or hip dysplasia earlier in life.
Even if your pet is young, he might still benefit from taking nutritional supplements like these.
What Ingredients To Look For
You’ll find that most brand’s boast a tried and tested formula that contains similar ingredients.
3 of these main ingredients are glucosamine, chondroitin, and green-lipped mussels.
All three are believed to work together to perform the following roles:
- Build, repair and strengthen cartilage. It's an essential connective tissue that acts as a cushion between joints, preventing them from rubbing together.
- Maintains and supports joint structure, protecting your pet from everyday wear and tear.
- Promotes mobility and eases stiffness in joints after naps and exercise.
Glucosamine and Chondroitin
Glucosamine and chondroitin are structural components of cartilage.
And cartilage helps cushion the joints.
Glucosamine is a natural sugar and it exists in the fluid around the joints.
Companies produce supplements to help with joints using these components both for humans and pets.
Methylsulfonylmethane, usually shortened to MSM, is a naturally occurring organosulfur compound.
In scientific studies about MSM supplementation, certain conditions seem to have improved such as inflammation, joint/muscle pain.
It's worth noting these conclusions are based on human clinical trials and animal models.
Omega–3 Fatty Acids
These fatty acids help reduce the inflammation in our canine companions which helps with joint conditions such as arthritis.
Hyaluronic Acid (HA)
It is a naturally occurring substance found in the connective tissue of your dog’s joints. That's in the synovial fluid and cartilage mix.
In cases of joint diseases, a reduction of the HA occurs.
And in studies it was shown that the use of HA helped with osteoarthritis associated with hip dysplasia.
What? From the spice cabinet? Not the spice exactly but what's hidden inside.
The active ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It might be used in some joint supplement formulas.
In fact, a 2017 study showed that a diet supplemented with curcuminoids extract, hydrolysed collagen and green tea extract reduced pain in dogs suffering from osteoarthritis when they received mixture for 3 months.
Dog joint supplements offer additional nourishment to ailing joints.
Supplements are bite-sized chewable tablets, often mistaken as treats by pets, packed with ingredients to support joint and cartilage health.
Supplements work to varying degrees. Some work better and faster than others.
While they do work to make your pet’s life more comfortable, they can’t cure whatever condition your pet has.
Chat to your vet before administering supplements.
While side effects are rare, dogs who are sensitive to shellfish or glucosamine might suffer adverse symptoms such as loose stool.
Yumove is currently the most favourite in the UK. It’s a fantastic and effective product that contains 4 times more Omega-3 than standard joint supplements.
It’s also clinically proven to work, which means you’ll see improvements in your dogs. However, the results are gradual, so give the supplements time to work.
Joint supplements can help to improve your dog’s life. While they can’t reverse the years or eradicate degenerative conditions, they can ease pain and stiffness in joints.
Haven't decided yet? Here is our top 5:
Our Top Picks
- Multi-action dog joint supplement, specifically designed for adult dogs
- Aids comfort, supports joint structure and promotes mobility, thanks to...
- The UK’s no.1 veterinary joint supplement brand*
- HIGH STRENGTH - Vetzyme High Strength Flexible Joint has been specifically...
- SUITABLE FOR ADULT DOGS - Particularly ones entering into old age
- DIRECTIONS - Feed daily, complements all dog diets (90 Tablets)
- 💫 MULTI FUNCTIONAL: Bring back the spring in your hounds step with our...
- 💪 GREAT FOR: A premium, natural formula for stiff & older dogs. Our...
- 🐶 7 ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Green Lipped Mussel, Glucosamine, Natural...
- Advanced dog joint supplement that can help your dog stay active for longer
- Formulated for results, with all natural high strength joint support...
- Promotes mobility and flexibility by easing swelling, soothing discomfort,...
- Supports normal joint function
- Supports normal joint mobility
- Supports normal joint structure
So, which is your favourite?
Tail-wagging fantastic job to get to know joint supplements and how they can help your old girl!
If you've already made up your mind, why not let us know your favourite in the comments section below.
Sharing is caring
Go on then, share this article with your friends so their ageing companion can get some relief to those tender joints!
- Glucosamine and chondroitin use in canines for osteoarthritis: A review Nccih.nih.gov
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Osteoarthritis Nccih.nih.gov
- Methylsulfonylmethane: Applications and Safety of a Novel Dietary Supplement Nccih.nih.gov
- Intra-Articular Hyaluronic Acid Compared to Traditional Conservative Treatment in Dogs with Osteoarthritis Associated with Hip Dysplasia Nccih.nih.gov
- A randomized, double-blind, prospective, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy of a diet supplemented with curcuminoids extract, hydrolyzed collagen and green tea extract in owner’s dogs with osteoarthritis Nccih.nih.gov